Course Description/Overview/Welcome Statement
I am so excited to assist students in the adventures of movement and exercise. Our goal is to give students a fun and unique experience, develop knowledge, introduce and experience fitness and exercise principles and initiate team-building activities that will provide a better quality of life. Healthy lifestyle management and wellness drives the core of this class. Units that will be taught during this elective class will include but not limited to Zumba, Step, speed walking, jogging, Circuit Training, Yoga, Pilates, PIYO, and Fitnessgram fitness tests.
We will be completing the Real World Problems Project to be graded with a rubric
Assessment of Progress
These items should be brought to school and kept in your P.E. locker.
- Shorts, sweatpants or athletic pants in any color (shorts must be long enough to cover half-way between the fingers tips and the knees).
- White, Gray, Navy Blue, or Black T-shirt (it may have a picture and/or words as long as the shirt is white or gray and covers the shoulders, the tummy when you lift your arms up and the back when you bend over)
- Athletic Shoes. These must be designed for running or cross training with sufficient traction so you don’t slide on the gym floor. Platform tennis shoes, hiking boots, sandals, or flat canvas shoes (Converse, Keds, or Vans) are not permitted.
- Excessive/ dangling jewelry must be removed and kept in your locker during class. A small ziplock bag or box is recommended for your p.e. locker to put jewelry in so it is not lost. (watches and stud earrings may be worn.)
- PE lockers are individually assigned to keep your personal items safe and secure. Miss Baccus is not responsible for lost or stole items.
- A plastic bag to take clothes home at least once a week to be washed.
- Deodorant is to be kept in your locker but NO perfumes or body sprays. Good hygiene practices should be practiced at all times. Showers are available and towels are provided.
YOU MAY NEVER AT ANY TIME PARTICIPATE IN YOUR SCHOOL CLOTHES!!
How to Earn an A in Dance Fitness:
- Actively working to achieve the learning target is required to receive full points each day in class.
- If you are in class you must dress and participate. Notes from home will not excuse you from participation. My policy is Dress and Do Your Best every day you are here. Notes from home will be accepted in order to inform me of any current problems you may be experiencing so I can monitor and restrict activities when appropriate. Doctor notes are required to excuse you completely from daily participation.
- You are accountable for all work you miss due to absences (learning target points, assignments, skill assessments, projects, etc.) Daily Learning Target points are made-up by completing Class Make-up Log for each absence. Logs can be picked up from the teacher. All other work will be made up in class, during plus time or by appointment before or after school.
- You are given 10 school days after you return from your absence to make up all work unless special arrangements are made.
Calendar of Due Dates for Major Assignments
Progress Reports and Report Cards
Grades will be updated weekly!
I= Below 59%, Incomplete/Insufficient Effort/No credit given
Daily Learning Target= 60% of final grade
Common Assessments (Fitness Testing, Training Runs, Other Assignments, Projects and Circuit Folder)= 40% of final grade
*Fitness Testing and Training Runs are graded based on individual student improvement. I understand that there are special circumstances such as injury, illness, and others. At each stage of testing and training runs students must demonstrate improvement to receive points. All Fitness Tests and Training Runs can be redone to demonstrate improvement to receive full points.
Physical Education is a state required class. Credit will be given to students who perform at 60% or better.
Connecting Home to School
Please return the Parent Information Sheet given on the first day of class. I can best be contacted by email: Christinab@provo.edu